The Eta Delta chapter of Chi Omega was established on September 11th, 1948 at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. Women were not permitted at the University of Florida until 1947, and Chi Omega was one of four nationals invited to organize a group on campus. Ten students were selected to be among the foundation of the chapter.
There were almost 100 Chi Omegas in attendance to witness the establishment, representing 19 chapters. The installation convocation was held in the University Auditorium, where the UF president, Dr. J. Hillis Miller spoke, highlighting the presence of women on campus and what it meant for the future of the University.